Go Back   The Beauty Bottle > Beauty ~ In the Physical Sense > Hair Care & Styling

Old February 12th, 2008, 12:53 PM   #1
iris
Raw Beauty

Referrals: 0

iris's Friends Network
Default How are the henna removal people doing?

I'm really missing the henna removal thread on LHC, thought I'd see if we can continue the discussion over here for a bit. I haven't seen the LHC henna removal thread since January 23 and I'm wondering how everybody is doing?

As for me, I've done a few more peroxide treatments, which have lifted the henna to shades of yellow and orange - mostly still quite orange in the sun.

In the mean time I've been working on finding out how to tone the resulting yellow/orange to a shade resembling my roots. I've tried lavender toners, and blue and lavender shampoos, to no avail - they don't have enough pigment to counter the henna. I've also tried indigo, which didn't give me the right shade (either still too gold, or too dark) and washed right out (at least it did me that favor ).

I'm currently experimenting with stargazer dye in 'royal blue'. This does an excellent job on cancelling out the henna without darkening too much. I took this picture in the sun this afternoon:

Top left shows the part where I did the most peroxide, top right shows where I did less peroxide. The bottom is where I applied the stargazer royal blue. The ends look quite green next to the un-stargazered length, but they are actually a perfect match to my roots (my natural color has a distinctly green tone to it).

For comparison, this is where I'm coming from: full-on henna in the sun:

I'm fairly optimistic about the developments, if a bit worried that the stargazer dye will not be permanent enough. This toning business is a huge amount of work - it basically has to be done strand by strand, because the peroxide hasn't lifted the henna evenly, and the stargazer dye is not taking evenly either. I'm hoping that I'll be able to get the stargazer to take somewhat permanently by using heat at some point - I don't see myself going through the toning process every week, it's just too time consuming. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the peroxide has done just enough damage to make the stargazer a bit more permanent- time will tell.

How is everybody else doing, in as far as they are here?

Iris

Last edited by iris : February 12th, 2008 at 12:57 PM.
iris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 06:38 PM   #2
GlennaGirl
Raw Beauty

GlennaGirl's Friends Network

Wow. What a difference. Incredible. I haven't done a "lightening" treatment in a while but I definitely did lighten up from the nearly-black-with-burgundy-highlights I previously had. This was with honey and conditioner (no peroxide).

I too am interested to hear how other people are doing with henna removal.
Old February 13th, 2008, 05:22 AM   #3
Madam Librarian
Dazzling Beauty

Madam Librarian's Friends Network

Funny, I was just missing this thread this morning!

I have stopped any lightening treatments after I bleached the second time. I was recently having trouble with getting permanent color to 'stick' in my hennaed hair. I colored last Thursday and added a neutral protein filler to the process. I soaked my hair in the filler first (per the directions on the back of the bottle) for at least an hour I think (directions only called for 20 minutes thought). I then mixed the remainder of the filler in with my color and some 9 vol developer. I let the color develop for 25 minutes, rinsed and dried. This morning was my first wash since then and I didn't lose any color! Yaaaay!

So maybe there is another thing to experiment with for those who eventually plan to cover the lightened henna color with chemical color.

I do remember Shermie Girl running around with a strand test of blonde dye in her pocket, and finding the lightened hair didn't get on with it. FWIW, the dye I used was Loreal Superior Preference (from the box) and I substituted the 9 vol for whatever came along with the dye. I have read that boxed dye typically contains 20 vol developer. Maybe you could try a gentler peroxide, especially if you are only looking to deposit color.

If this color continues to stick, I will have successfully 'ashed' down the remaining red from the henna.

I've also done one cassia treatment before I last colored my hair. I want to do another, hopefully this weekend. From the first application, I found that it does make my hair feel 'hennaed' again. I really, really missed that feeling.

Last edited by Madam Librarian : February 17th, 2008 at 05:38 AM. Reason: correct spelling error
Madam Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 05:54 AM   #4
Altocumulus
Raw Beauty

Altocumulus's Friends Network

Wow! Your hair is much lighter!

I miss the removal thread too and I'm glad I read it all when I first decided to stop henna, since it's unavailable now.

I've done 2 lemon juice/conditioner treatments and have had some lightening - nowhere close to my natural ashy blonde, but more of a light red than the copper/auburn I started with. The henna part is no longer darker than my natural color, but it's still redder. I'm actually surprised it was that successful since I originally hennaed over virgin hair. I'll probably do some more lemon juice treatments, since they don't seem to damage my hair. I may try the honey/conditioner mix too...can't hurt!
Altocumulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 03:10 AM   #5
iris
Raw Beauty

iris's Friends Network

GlennaGirl, I thought your henna fell out pretty much on its own?

Altocumulus, I hennaed over virgin hair, too, and the lemon juice-conditioner worked for me as well. I did get discouraged with it at some point though, because it would redarken so much after every treatment. Five steps forward, four steps back every time. I just didn't have the psychological stamina to continu doing the treatments because the redarkening started to depress me after the tenth treatment or so.

Madam Librarian, good to hear that the protein filler helped to make the color stick! I'm keeping permanent/oxidative color + protein filler up my sleeve as an option for when/if the stargazer route fails (fails in terms of permanence).

I'm hesitant to use drugstore dyes because it seems to me I need only blue pigment to counter the remaining henna, not the reds and yellows that will also be in the drugstore dye. I did locate a (local) brand of permanent dye that has 'pure' pigments (blue, red etc) for colorists to mix, and I may try the blue oxidative dye with some protein filler should the stargazer wash out too quickly.

I'm also considering Goldwell Elumen, which is supposed to be permanent as well but not through oxidation. Elumen also has a pure blue dye. It is quite an investment though - I'd need their protein filler, the blue, the clear, and the lock, which all in all comes to at least 80 euros. That kind of money might be better spent on seeing an actual colorist ;-).

So far, the stargazer blue has held up nicely, but it's been only a week, and I do see blue coming out in every wash.

I guess my henna removal adventure has morphed into an 'how to get blue dye to stick' adventure ;-).

I am still working on peroxiding the strands that haven't been properly peroxided yet. My current method is to glop on a mix of 40 vol thickened peroxide and 3% household peroxide, blow dry it until dry, and just leave it in until my next wash. It works fine this way - doesn't seem like the peroxide needs to be wet to work.

Iris

Last edited by iris : February 16th, 2008 at 04:29 AM. Reason: changed 30 vol to 40 vol
iris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 04:16 AM   #6
Shermie Girl
Elegant Beauty

Shermie Girl's Friends Network

Hey, fellow henna removers. I just saw this thread. Well, my henna removal is now at an end. I did one too many soakings in peroxide and destroyed my hair. I ended up having to cut it.

I have reached the conclusion that there is no way to completely remove henna without also destroying the hair. It seems that removal is only successful to a certain point, then it is a matter of toning to get an acceptable colour. I still have some remaining orange and a shimmer of red, in some light in my hair. Like Iris, I now need to find a toner (probably a semi or a demi) that will kill the red-orange and give me a colour I can enjoy. I would like to hang on to my gold, as it is a natural tone to me, but I am thinking that ash will give me better red-kill. I can wear ash until I have grown and trimmed away the remainder of the henna then allow the ash to fade away and just tone gold, after that. I need to do some strand tests and see what I can come up with that will work for me and my hair. Time for a run to Sally's.

Old February 16th, 2008, 12:43 PM   #7
Phantasmagoria
Sparkling Beauty

Phantasmagoria's Friends Network

Wow, it's been awhile since I've looked in on any posts. Just out of curiosity, Shermie Girl, why did you decide to do away with the henna?
Phantasmagoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2008, 04:45 AM   #8
Shermie Girl
Elegant Beauty

Shermie Girl's Friends Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasmagoria
Wow, it's been awhile since I've looked in on any posts. Just out of curiosity, Shermie Girl, why did you decide to do away with the henna?

For the simple reason that henna just wasn't right for me. Don't get me wrong. I loved the stuff. The colour, conditioning, shine, the way my hair just looked and felt with it. But, I am a natural blonde, (more by artifice than nature, any more ) and every time I darken my hair in any way, I know that I have made a terrible mistake. And I start looking for ways to remove the dark colour.

I have finally learned that I am a light-haired person deep down and that to be truly happy with my hair, it has to be light. That is why the henna had to go.
Old February 17th, 2008, 05:24 AM   #9
Altocumulus
Raw Beauty

Altocumulus's Friends Network

Yes, its definitely 5 steps forward, 4 steps back. I will have two toned hair for a long time...no way around it except to cut.

Shermie Girl, I'm sorry the removal didn't work. I hope you find a good ashy blonde and enjoy the process of growing back.

2c/3a/M/ii/iii ~36"
Altocumulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2008, 07:51 AM   #10
GlennaGirl
Raw Beauty

GlennaGirl's Friends Network

Iris, I'm sorry, I totally stated that the wrong way--I was working on lightening my hair from henndigo; the henna itself did fade significantly all by itself. I mean it got way way less red before I ever touched it with honey. The honey was to overall lighten as the indigo portion of my henndigo left it very dark, almost black.